Common name: Chives
Latin name: Allium schoenoprasum, A. tuberosu,
- perennial herbs
- 12 inch tall grass-like, hollow, tubular, green leaves, tapering to a point on top
- flowers in summer are pinkish to pale purple
- hardy plants that grow best in full sun
- Cut: Ready when reaches 6 inches. Do not snip off just the tips, cut as close to the base as possible. Harvest regularly to keep it growing.
- Store: They do not store well. They can be frozen up to 6 months though.
- Makes a good companion plant. Helpful to keep bugs off tomatoes.
- Although great for cooking, best not to give to a rabbit